6B023 - Study program “Translation Studies”
The study program “Translation Studies” is aimed at providing a broad basic professional training of future translators and interpreters so that they could acquire fundamental subject knowledge as highly qualified and practice-oriented specialists in the field of translation and translation studies. The program graduates will be able to solve issues of interlanguage and intercultural communication using new information technologies.
The program provides a bachelor with a general integral methodology of professional activity, develops professional creativity skills of future specialists, and forms the need for further improvement of the educational level.
The study program is based on a competency-based model of training specialists which meets the needs of the labor market and the requirements of employers. This model describes the key competencies of graduates, their level of qualification and readiness to perform specific professional functions.
Training of specialists presupposes their profile specialization in a certain field of activity and type of translation:
- A specialist of written translation in all areas.
- A specialist of oral (consecutive and simultaneous) interpretation in all areas.
The advantages of the study program “Translation Studies” include enhanced professional opportunities for future graduates in various fields of activity through the following minors:
1) Translation in International Relations:
- Organizer of international negotiations
- Columnist of international news blocks
2) Specialist in the field of media communication:
- Translator of mass discursive forms
- Industry content analyst
- Content developer of Internet sites
3) Specialist in the field of translation of business communication and economics:
- Translator-document specialist
- Translator-coordinator of business projects
- Translator-expert in business and economics
4) Specialist in cross-cultural communication:
- Translation specialist in linguistic and publishing sphere
- An expert in the field of intercultural communication.
5) Specifics and logical-thinking difficulties in simultaneous interpretation of professional and industry speeches and socio-economic forums/ Models and formats of information coverage and commenting on military situational actions and the specifics of their media synchronous interpretation:
- Translator-localizer who adapts speeches to the cultural context.
- Specialist in the field of translation of military materials related to the life and activities of troops and military institutions of the armed forces.
6) The specifics of diplomatic variants of discursive pragmatics in official presentation speeches and their forms in media synchronous interpretation/ Objective-legal and emotionally-neutral coverage in simultaneous interpretation
- Translator of the mass media and information material language
- Specialist in the field of translation of standard official business documents
- Content developer of translation and localization projects
One of the priority areas of international cooperation of the Study Program “Translation Studies” is to strengthen relations with partner universities. Foreign native speakers are invited annually to work as part of the Educational Program.
Within the framework of the study program “Translation Studies” the following cooperation activities with employers, leading universities and other interested parties are being held:
- co-education in advanced training programs: Xinjiang University, China;
- targeted training for the scientific and pedagogical personnel at such top universities as Munich Institute of Foreign Languages and Translators (Germany), Vigo University (Spain), Nottingham Trent University (Great Britain), UNO Geneva (Switzerland), Coastal Carolina University (USA), Cadiz University (Spain), Giessen University (Germany), Konstantin the Philosopher University in Nitra (Slovakia), Moscow State Linguistic University University (Russia), Busan University of Foreign Languages (Republic of Korea), with universities in Turkey: Yulduz Technological University, Bozok Kahraman Manmaras University, Kastomonu, Bakhchesehir, etc.;
Professors in the field of language, intercultural communication and translation from Britain, Switzerland, Germany, Spain hold lectures and conduct seminars for students of the program (UNO translator, Prof. Russell Duffin, Prof. Gloria Gutierrez Almarza, Anna Olfield, PhD, Costal Carolina University).
- involvement of practitioners and potential employers into the learning process, advising and co-supervision of diploma projects: Ashimova D., Khlasheva O.D. (Kazakhfilm JSC named after Shaken Aimanov), A Arenova.A., (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan), Gorkovsky G.A. ("Omega-translation"), Yu.A. Pilipenko (International Association of Manufacturers of Goods and Services,Chairman of the Association), RaisaSairan Kader (“Steppe&World” Publishing house), Omirkhanova A.B. (Kaz Minerals Aktogay LLP), N.E. Seydakova (Training Center "ADVANCE" LLP), and so on.
Students have the opportunity to study English, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and Turkish as the first foreign language (FL), as well as French, German, Spanish, Italian as the second FL.
The competitive advantages of the study program "Translation Studies" are as follows:
- it implements a model of an integrated scientific and innovative professional and educational management system and infrastructure of the university with the help of formulated activities for four Scientific and innovative professional and educational complexes;
- it forms professional foreign language competencies in the process of training a professional translator.